Sunday, November 6, 2011

Art, Jewelry Design and Blogging

My artistic endeavors have been all over the place because that's how I roll.  You name it, I've probably tried it.  Watercolor & oil painting. Collage. Macrame (yes, I'm that old.) Ceramics. Photography. Basket Weaving. Blah. Blah. Blah. It's not always about the end product, but rather about the process. No? Yes. :)


In this blog, I'll attempt to stay focused on my ventures into jewelry design. Several years ago, I was making and selling jewelry (mostly leather & earthy beads) in a local shop...but eventually something else took my focus. Sometime during the last year, I discovered metal stamping and most recently I've discovered metal clays. Why did I not know metal clays existed? What a genius idea! Plus, more mediums for me to play with. Right? Right.

Cheesy Stamping
So now I've found myself pouring over countless books & online resources regarding metal clays and metalsmithing - combine that with my love of all things beads & I no longer worry about dust in my house. (Okay, maybe I didn't worry about that anyway.) 

And with the new interest in jewelry design and all the possibilities comes the need for lots and lots of new tools. Stamps and blanks for the metal stamping...and letter sets of course. Now I've added a saw and have started cutting my own copper.  And of course I had to have a kiln for that metal clay business.

Kiln for Metal Clays
 So add beads to the mix of metal stamping and metal clays....not to mention collecting odd bits of  flotsam and jetsam for the jewelry designs - just to keep things interesting and surprising.
Bronze Clay Cameo

I had hardly even started on the bronze clay when I discovered etching!

Etching on Copper
So there you have it. Perhaps one day soon I'll feel like I'm ready to open an Etsy shop - not quite yet.  Carpe Diem!
-L

No comments: