Thursday, January 19, 2012

What made me think I wanted to solder stuff?

I watched a ton of videos on this process...they made it look so easy! Who knew there were so many kinds of soldering irons; so many kinds of solder; so many kinds of flux? Not me. So this is a 'learn as you go process for me..but I'm learning with each piece. 

I've had it with blogger tonight....maybe I'm just blogger challenged.  So I'm just gonna toss up a bunch of shots. The pendants are all 1 inch x 3 inches and are two sided and I think you can figure out which go with which. I've left a couple of the pieces bright silver...all sanded & buffed. On a few of the others, I've used JAX Pewter Black.












 




I can see these not only simply as pendants...but as a components with other things going on as well. I've a few ideas for that. We'll see. Stand by.

There's a class in silversmithing & jewelry at the local art center during February - Tuesday & Thursday evenings.... I've signed up & am very much looking forward to it.

Hey, I have followers! Thank you all so much for visiting...it's very much appreciated. At least I feel like I'm not talking to myself in here. ;)  I hope to feature each of you soon right here!

The.End.


12 comments:

stregata said...

The soldering seems to be going well - the pieces look great. Looking forward to seeing your progress when you take the silversmithing class.

Lela Bouse-McCracken said...

Thank you for stopping by, stregata. It means a lot to know someone is actually reading this stuff..sort of holds us accountable in some way. ;) Your work is beautiful! and I look forward to spending more time visiting your blog for inspiration.

Jackie said...

Oh I just love the pieces you've created. I've been wanting to try that for quite a while. I even have the box of glass slides on my shelf, covered in dust waiting for me to give it a try. I don't have the right equip, I'm soldering with torches now, not right for the glass.

I too am excited to see your progress after your class, but you're surely off to an excellent start!!

...Jackie xo

Lela Bouse-McCracken said...

Hi Jackie!
Dust those slides off. :)
I ended up with three soldering irons - I don't think the first two had enough
wattage. It's a slow process for me, and
some people make it look so easy. I like
the fact that I can put my own mini
art in there.

Thanks for stopping by!

Petra Carpreau said...

Those slides are gorgeous, Lela! It makes me a little less envious of your fancy soldering kit to hear that you're having a bit of a struggle with the whole business!! You've done a great job with it though. I too, find it a real head bender!

tammi said...

Beautiful pieces, Lela! I really envy your ability to put mixed media together and make it look simply wonderful! I need a class in this. Looking forward to seeing where you go with these pieces...

Gallery 13 said...

Thanks, Petra! So nice of you to drop by. Struggle? Oh yes! Ha! I've got a couple extra soldering irons if you need one. :)

Gallery 13 said...

Hi Tammi! So nice of you to drop by. I'm glad you like the mixed media idea...I needed some feedback. I've been a bit distracted by life and am so ready to get back into the studio. Plus, that silversmithing class starts Tuesday. Can't wait for that!

Sharon said...

All your pieces are quite beautiful, I especially like the blue feather and moustache man!

I have never soldered with a soldering iron before and would love to learn, I like the rustic and antique effect you have achieved.

You will definitely love the silversmithing class, and thanks for the congrats on my being included in Lori's new book!

Lori Anderson said...

Those are great! I took a soldering class last year and haven't had time to work on it -- I keep flubbing up the solder, making it all lumpy.

Gallery 13 - Lela Bouse-McCracken said...

Hi Lori. :)
Thanks so much for the kind comment. Soldering is a challenge - I said it! ;)

As I used to tell my art students, "you don't want it to look like you bought it at wal-mart." ;) I really do like seeing the 'hand made' quality to pieces.

And again, big congrats on the book! That's awesome. :)

Gallery 13 - Lela Bouse-McCracken said...

Thank you, Sharon! For some reason your comment was caught in my spam filter. I need to fix that.

I'm really looking forward to the silversmithing class..tonight! Woot. :)