Saturday, February 25, 2012

Chilaili - Snowbird

Chilaili
As if you didn't know, I have very much enjoyed my silversmithing class. (Although I did 99% of the work on this piece in my home studio.)  This piece is called Chilaili. It's a Native American name meaning Snowbird. It seemed an appropriate name since I use a Snowy Owl icon several places online. I really like how she turned out. I say "she" because it looks like a sweet, little Native American abstract female to me.

I own a few turquoise pieces, but haven't worn them often. (This piece feels different & seems to have more meaning for me.  I really don't want to take it off!)  When I signed up for the Silversmithing class, I bought a few turquoise stones...with no real plan in mind....But these two made a good pair.

messy original sketch
the silver has been cut and polished a bit
bezels & silver beads  have been soldered in place
hash marks have been stamped on the perimeter
shank has been soldered in place  & the ring dipped in liver of sulfur to give it patina
ring was polished & stones were set and Chilaili was born
Chilaili, my little Snowbird spirit ring.  (Not that little actually...she's approximately 1.75 inches from top to bottom and .75 of an inch at the widest point.)

There's a lot of information out there about Turquoise. Google it up, and you'll see what I mean.

Carpe Diem!
-L

ps: The photo frames are part of the "Camera+" free app for iPhone.  I highly recommend it.

12 comments:

Beatnheart said...

Holy Crap look at you go...what’da ya do? make a piece a day...what an amazing class...makes me want to sign up for one myself...Last time I did a silversmithing was, well, too many years to even count now...you are encouraging me. Sorry about the coyote teeth. I wouldn’t have ever done something like this before Fanci came along...now it just seems natural...what the hey happened?? Thanks for your visit and comment by the way. Always appreciated.

Gallery 13 - Lela Bouse-McCracken said...

Actually, the class has been meeting only twice a week..for 2 hours at a time. And with all the distractions there, I got very little done during that time. So most of my work has been done in my studio, after learning a technique.

I already had sawing, filing, sanding, etc. under control, but the class has helped me learn how to torch solder. And I'm lovin' it. Of course I've picked up a few other tips & hints that have helped immensely. Like the kinds of compounds that are used for buffing. Who knew there were so many kinds?!?

The class is over now, but they're offered quite often, so I'll be at it again sometime in the near future. Thanks for your kind comments & visit!

Actually, the coyote teeth look great in those earrings...I just thought they were some sort of antler part, etc. Heh. ;)

Petra Carpreau said...

Wow, you're coming on in leaps and bounds since starting your class. The turquoise rings are stunning!!! I've nominated you for one of these versatile blogger awards (see mine for details), and hope you don't curse me for the time involved in receiving it!!! Of course, you don't have to if you don't want to!!

xxx

Gallery 13 - Lela Bouse-McCracken said...

Hi Petra. Thanks so much for the kudos. Much appreciated...almost as much as your visit. OH! And I love your name. Yes I do. :)

Stacie said...

Beautiful work! Wow! I have a ton of stones that I need to start setting...just haven't been that inspired lately, but now....I think I may go back into my studio and see what I can come up with! Great job...

Gallery 13 - Lela Bouse-McCracken said...

Hi Stacie. So nice to see you here. And thanks for the kind words. I do think I'm hooked on silversmithing. Best wishes on your test Monday. Crossing fingers for you.

Juliette Williams said...

Lela! I love your latest ring. Your work from the silversmithing class - really lovely and inspiring.

Gallery 13 - Lela Bouse-McCracken said...

Hi Juliette...thank you! I'm pretty happy with how this one turned out too. Your visit is much appreciated. :)

13 said...

Such a stunning ring, turquoise and silver is such a winning combo. Great to see the work from drawing to completion

Gallery 13 - Lela Bouse-McCracken said...

Aww...thank you so much, Marcia. So nice of you to stop by. Much appreciated!

Stacey said...

This is beautiful. It takes me back to my childhood...growing up my mom wore a ring so similar to this...we all loved it....I think she has it somewhere...now I have to bug her about getting it out.

Gallery 13 - Lela Bouse-McCracken said...

Thank you so much, Stacey. I do appreciate your visits and comments. Now go bug your Mom about that ring! ;)