Saturday, April 28, 2012

Silver & Turquoise Bracelet

Silver and Turquoise Bracelet

I finally had a chance to work in the studio and managed
to complete the bracelet that's meant to accompany 
the Chilali ring. I'm pleased with how it turned out.


What I'm most proud of is that I made all of the components. The foundation
for the stones, the beaded rings, and the jump rings are
all sterling silver. The clasp and flat rings are from 14 gauge
fine silver wire that was brazed & forged.  And just for the record, 
all sixteen (count'em 16) jump rings
are soldered!

Yep, I used a sketch book. I always do when working in silver.
And yet another sketch.
My inspiration came from the design of the ring with 
more inspiration from a bracelet I saw on flickr.

Need I tell you that's the clasp? It's the clasp. Well, half of the clasp.
I thought you probably wanted to see the stones closer.You did, right?

And now for something completely off topic.

We finally had birds (Carolina Chickadees) nest in our of our bird houses. Normally, we only have
tree frogs take up residence. We are very happy about that. :)
I do love bird nests! So after they left the house,  the mister cleaned it out.
Here's your photo essay.

Uh...no, those are not Chickadee eggs. They're beads of course. :-D
This is the bottom of the nest. Isn't it AMAZING?!
I  LOVE  this texture!
Nope, not eggs. Some random round seed pods....
I'm always just blown away at the intricacy of nests.
If that looks like human hair mixed in,  it is. That's because I collected some
from my hair dresser to scatter among our gardens to hopefully
keep the local deer away from Hostas and other plants.
It's so cool that the Chickadees wanted it to line their nest!

And now just one more look at my bracelet....because, well...it's my Blog!


OH, also...I ordered a Foredom today.
Consider me VERY excited!

Carpe Diem!
-Lela



























22 comments:

Chelsea said...

Impressive work, lady. Really gorgeous.

And depending on what you do with that sweet little nest, you may wanna sanitize the bugger pretty well first; they're notorious for harboring parasites of the many-legged and sick-causing kinds. ;)

Shel said...

Hi there - to answer you question you emailed me - yes, I do have a foredom flexshaft. (and congrats on getting one, too) Well, I used to have one. My hubby and son use it more than I do now. LOL!! ;-) And, I just wanted to say that I LOVE your bracelet and ring. Oh my - how talented you are!! I only dream of metalsmith work. I took a class several years back and have barely done anything with what I learned. :( Your turquoise pieces are amazing and the design itself is so perfect - truly a work of art!!

Beatnheart said...

really good excellent professional looking work...you oughta be v. proud.

mairedodd said...

that bracelet and ring look like they belong in sundance catalog - gorgeous work, lela! beautiful nest...

Chelsea said...

Yes, I read, and I try to help. To kill buggies: An insect-killing spray would be good; not sure about freezing; looks like some mites can survive the cold temps. Leaving it in the sun for a few days (under a glass cover to increase the temp and to discourage wind-blowing away or scavenging) would work. Baking in the oven would also work but then you've got the risk of fire and all that. Anything containing "permetrhin, tetramethrin or sumithrin" has a high quick-kill of parasites, but I'm not sure about cost, since these are environmental pest-control compounds used in vet med. ;) Hope this helps!

Gallery 13 - Lela Bouse-McCracken said...

Chelsea: Thank you so much for the visit and nice feedback. Ack on the parasites.

Shel: So kind of you to stop by & thank you for the feedback on the Foredom. I can't wait to get mine!

Gallery 13 - Lela Bouse-McCracken said...

Cynthia & Mary Ann: Again, I thank you for your visits & kind comments.

Gallery 13 - Lela Bouse-McCracken said...

Thank you, Chelsea! I tried to email you directly, but couldn't find an email addy. ;) I've sprayed the nest with ant killer for the ants that were in it. Maybe THEY ate the parasites. ;) Whatever the case, it's not coming inside. I'll just look at it through my kitchen window. :)

Juliette Williams said...

Congratulations on that gorgeous bracelet, and on the purchase of your Foredom! That bracelet rocks my world. AND so does that nest! What beauty.
xoxo Juliette

betweenreader said...

I am impressed especially by the beautiful, elegant and simple toggle. Clasps are always a bit of a challenge, and toggles can be tricky, but you have come up with a lovely solution here! Hat's off, dearie!

13 said...

Great job, fantastic detailling on your bracelet, love that some of the rings are twisted. Turquoise and silver always go together like best mates.

Gallery 13 - Lela Bouse-McCracken said...

Juliette, betweenreader, 13: Thanks very much ladies. I so appreciate your visits and kind comments.

Anvil Artifacts said...

Guess it's time to quit lurking and say how much I've enjoyed watching this whole process of yours with your ring and bracelet. Gorgeous work! I'm with Chelsea on the nest, fascinating but probably lots of scary critters. Ask me how I know that! Hahaha

Cathie Carroll said...

Beautiful work. The Foredom will open up whole new worlds and I can't wait to see it unfold! Your craftsmanship is amazing.

That's a good word for the nest also.
They really are little craftsmen when they build.

Gallery 13 - Lela Bouse-McCracken said...

Thanks so much for stopping by & coming out of lurking. We all love the feedback and comments. :)

Gallery 13 - Lela Bouse-McCracken said...

Thank you, Cathie. That's so nice of you. The Foredom arrived today & I haven't even turned it on yet. I'm still reading the instructions. ;)

Tracy Statler said...

Wow Lela. Your bracelet is stunning! It is a very pretty and wearable design with beautiful craftsmanship! I just spent the evening in a workshop with Richard Salley and his assistant learning how to use a metal saw. Only broke one blade! I'm glad we've connected!


Tracy

Gallery 13 - Lela Bouse-McCracken said...

Hi Tracy,
Thank you so much! I bet that class was very informative & fun. He does beautiful work.

I learned all my sawing skills by watching youtube...that was before my two silversmithing classes. I really like to saw. I think it's fun. Yes, those blades are so tiny. Sounds like you did fine.

I'm glad we've connected too!

-Lela

Sharon said...

Your silversmithing is excellent, I love your style and execution, and the nest is precious! I think I'd be afraid to bring it into the house, though!

Petra Carpreau said...

Ugh, I'm such a crap follower - sorry, Lela. Your bracelet is absolutely gorgeous!! I'm totally in awe of your silversmithing skills. Taking that class was the right thing to do, wasn't it?!! You've got a real gift for it. I love the bronze clay pieces as well with that yumtious patina-ing. Lovely, lovely, lovely.
xoxox :O)

Gallery 13 - Lela Bouse-McCracken said...

Hi Sharon.
Please forgive me for being so tardy in thanking you. Life got in the way there for a little while. I do always appreciate your visits! I didn't bring the nest inside - but I really liked inspecting it. :)

Gallery 13 - Lela Bouse-McCracken said...

Hi Petra! Please forgive me for such a late reply. I've had so many distractions lately but I hope I'm back now for a while. Thank you so much for the very kind words!