Saturday, May 19, 2012

Relics from The Lost City of Atlantis

Relics from the Lost City of Atlantis

It's about time I was doing something with the bronze pieces I made about a year ago.  I carved the designs into lino blocks and used those for the BronzClay.  After adding numerous coats of  JAX Green, I finally had that "hundreds of years underwater" look that I was going for.  Freshwater coin pearls compliment the undersea theme. The pieces have been sealed and waxed. The earrings are assembled with sterling silver wire and hung on sterling silver hand forged ear wires (Lilver of Sulfur patina). The earrings are approximately three inches in length.

The linoleum blocks I carved as a mold for BronzClay.

Included here you see the two BronzClay pieces in the earrings above...when they were ready to be fired.
After firing, the pieces were tumbled & treated with LOS, since
I didn't know for sure what I was going to do with them. Later
I decided to use the JAX green on them. I like the result!


These Atlantis relic coins were made by using vintage buttons for molds for BronzClay.
The coin earrings were assembled with Czech Glass beads & sterling silver wire...
 and hung on sterling silver hand forged ear wires. They are approximately three inches long.


Only relics remain of the civilization that once was.
 Carpe Diem!
-L

13 comments:

Alice said...

Ohhhhh pretty! I love that ancient looking green patina you got from the JAX green.

Beatnheart said...

wonderful, exciting work...

Anvil Artifacts said...

your ancient earrings are magnificent! Love them!

Jackie said...

Oh how awesome, I love these pieces!

...Jackie xo

Vintajia Adornments said...

Vertigris is my second favourite form of rust. Really love the first earrings.

Gallery 13 - Lela Bouse-McCracken said...

Thank you so much, Alice. I agree... I love what that JAX green does.

Gallery 13 - Lela Bouse-McCracken said...

Thank you, Beatnheart!

Gallery 13 - Lela Bouse-McCracken said...

Thanks so much...they do feel like they're old. :)

Gallery 13 - Lela Bouse-McCracken said...

Thank you, Jackie! So nice of you to stop by.

Gallery 13 - Lela Bouse-McCracken said...

Thanks so much, Greer. I appreciate your visit as always!

Sharon Driscoll said...

And why am I not visiting this blog more often - shoot me! I love the aged look of the Patina and the entire theme you are using of Atlantis. N-I-C-E.....

Gallery 13 - Lela Bouse-McCracken said...

Hey Sharon. Thanks for the visit & kind comments. Much appreciated. :)

I've been a slacker blogger lately as other things have needed attention. Hopefully I'll be back at it soon.

Petra Carpreau said...

Ha haaa - slack blogging! Now you're talking my language!!!
That patina is soooo gorgeous. I do love that bronze clay - any way it comes!
Beautiful work, Lela.

xoxox