Sunday, July 15, 2012

Mannequin MakeOver & Stuff

About a year ago I thought it might be possible that I'd eventually
be setting up an Etsy account...so I started shopping for a mannequin.
I found this little lady at an antique mall & the price was acceptable..
at least when compared to what I'd found online. She was in excellent (like new) condition 
and covered with neutral linen. But every time I put  jewelry on her, it seemed to die before my eyes.
DEAD I'm telling you. And, yes, I'm blaming her...I'm sure it wasn't my jewelry. Ahem.
I decided she needed a makeover.

Maddy the Mannequin
Collage is my answer to every coverup. Wait, that didn't sound right.
Whatever.
I set out to collage this lady - so I first painted her with Gesso.
Gesso is used to prime canvases for painting & I wanted
a white base layer to work with.

     

I allowed that to dry overnight & then covered Maddy with
selective pieces of a McCalls pattern. I collaged the pattern on with Liquitex Matte Medium.
My overall plan was to white wash the collaged layer with white acrylic paint.


And that's exactly what I did.


See?

Hand forged Sterling Bubbles

The clasp on Sterling Bubbles

What do you think?


Hand Forged Fine Silver Chain 

I'm happy with the result & my jewelry doesn't DIE anymore!

The collage technique left just a subtle hint of an under layer of textures and designs.
And the white really sets off pieces better than the natural linen
IMHO of course. ;)

Maybe one of these days I'll get up the nerve to set up that Etsy shop. 
Right now I'm just enjoying learning new techniques and adding to my own jewelry collection.
:)

Carpe Diem!
-L









6 comments:

Shel said...

Oh - you made her look awesome and your jewelry is fabulous on her!

Beatnheart said...

Thanks for coming over and looking after me during one of my hormonal surges.

Thanks for these tips .. You scored on that mannequin ( ooo wee thank you spell check) it looks great
my etsy shop was open for an entire year before I put my first thing into it. I t has been one of the most wonderful experiences of my life.. Like you say seize the day.. Just do it.. It is worth it just to experiment with the process and taking the photos and the rush of selling especially your own work is amazing and so validating...it costs like 20 cents per listing.... So money isn't the issue... It does eat up time but then so does anything that is worth doing.

Xx cynthia

mairedodd said...

wow - amazing job! the jewelry is set off so nicely...
i need one of those for necklaces - you really just cannot get a good necklace shot without one...
re: etsy - just do it... you need any help, just shout... it's a piece of cake, really... but i know all about the 'new thing' reluctance... you'll be glad you did it, though... good luck!

Kimberly said...

That came out great. I'm not so fond of my made over mannequin because her boobs are to hard and close together and my long necklaces don't lay right like they would on fabric covered flesh.
Good job and good luck with your listings.

Sharon Driscoll said...

Great job on the mannequin - I agree that the re-do really makes the jewelry pop. Do the Etsy Lela - it's a good place to list your work. Which is cooler than any ol' manny...

Gallery 13 - Lela Bouse-McCracken said...

Thank you all so very much for your comments and support. It means so much to have that! I do appreciate it very much. Maybe that Etsy shop will be up and running by the end of summer.....