Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Turquoise & Sterling


There are new things to be learned each time I make a ring.
I added a piece of 14 gauge sterling wire around the bezel in this one.

Soldering the bezel onto the back piece

It seems I got in a bit of a hurry and didn't have a snug enough
fit for the wire...never the less, it turned out pretty much okay.


The Parts
Soldering the shank in place
A trick I learned at the silversmithing class.....
Use dental floss under the stone when testing the fit.

Testing the fit of the stone


The stone has been set into place....


New photography setup

I used to have my big light box on a card table for
shooting jewelry (when I did it inside.) But I'm working on
this smaller version using poster board & think it's going to work out great.
It only requires choosing the correct white balance
for your lighting. The top and bottom shots were in the tent.
I'll be playing with lighting next time. 

Onward and upward!

carpe diem!
-L


6 comments:

Lucie said...

Beautiful! Dental floss, I will remember :D I want to try to make a bezel, I have everything but I'm scared to screw it up, your post is encouraging.

Sharon Driscoll said...

Great job on the ring Lela - it's a beauty! I really like the wire around the bezel for the depth it gives the piece...

Lela said...

Thanks so much, ladies. I do appreciate you stopping by. It's encouraging to get feedback! :)

Shel said...

Gorgeous ring - as usual! I just love seeing your process and so wish I had the guts to try my hand at actual metalsmith/ring work! I like your new photo set up, too - the pics you took look fantastic!

Cindy said...

Lela, just left you a comment - I hope it went through! :-).... if not, I just wanted to tell you that your ring is amazing. I realize so much goes in to making a ring like this. And your photography set-up must be just right - your photos are so crisp and beautiful.

Lela said...

Thanks one and all. I always appreciate your visits and comments!