Monday, October 15, 2012

Form Folding Copper

Form Folded Copper Cuff Bracelet
Cynthia Murray has some great form folded copper cuffs
on her blog. In addition, she has some beautiful jewelry
and paintings. Her form folded cuffs inspired me to
try form folding again. Thanks, Cynthia!

Annealing, folding, hammering flat, annealing, opening...repeat, repeat, repeat.
And so much fun!
Detail
I tumbled it to get some strength back. It was pretty
lightweight copper, so it was easier to manipulate.
After dunking in liver of sulfur and hitting the
high spots, I called it done. 
Although I haven't sealed or waxed it yet.


I think I'll try some etching on the next one.

I finally got a hotter torch...well, just a plumber's torch. 
But I'm able to use propane with it, so annealing the copper
is super easy. 


I opted for one with a 5 ft hose, and I'm very glad I did!
It said it was for use with MAPP gas, but that you could also use propane.
I got propane. I wonder if MAPP is hotter.....need to find out.

But it works to anneal the copper and now I can also
ball the ends of copper wire.

Yay!
In other news, I figured out what to do with some of the
fine silver clay pieces. I used them in conjunction with some
black glass beads on this rope necklace.
The long silver piece seemed like it was a good pendant drop
for such a piece.
Sterling silver chain, sterling bead, sterling loop & a little liver of sulfur.

This was an experiment in scanning a necklace with a piece
of paper on top of it. I think it worked pretty darn good!





I just love these little seed pods....picked them up yesterday during a hike along the river.
They're so delicate and perfect. 
Green Heron
I leave you with this handsome guy. He's been hanging out at our
neighborhood lake. Isn't he great?!

Carpe Diem!
-L

19 comments:

Alice said...

Your form folded cuff is fabulous! Can you use a small torch for fold forming? I seriously want to try this technique.

And I love the silver pendant you made. Silver and black together are so elegant.

Beatnheart said...

I just love that bracelet!! I want to torch stuff now so bad...and the ball ends?
don’t they just make stuff look so finished and polished...luv.
cool stuff lady friend.

Anvil Artifacts said...

More wonderful jewelry from your studio! Beautiful fold forming. Couldn't agree more-it's so much fun! Your silver and black necklace is gorgeous.
Yes, Mapp gas is hotter than propane. Perfect for making balled headpins on thicker wire or annealing bigger, thicker pieces of copper.

PipnMolly said...

Lovely cuff and neck drop.
The little pods are also delicious when ripe. They're choke cherries. Yummy.
Beautiful Heron. I miss seeing them since we moved farther south... and those noisy geese too.

Juliette Williams said...

Lela! Your cuff and your fold forming is gorgeous!! Alice, you can use a small torch, but be wary of the size and gauge of your piece in relation to your heat source. I use a Benzomatic too, and you can get different size torch 'tips' as well, which screw onto the canisters. Propane is just fine, you don't really need to use MAPP - in my experience, it's one or the other.

Fantastic pieces - your silver is so inspiring! And I'm jealous, you get those seed pods by you? If I want them, I have to buy them. I agree, they are lovely. And so is the heron!

xoxo Juliette

Kimberly said...

Wow... fold forming, How rich and tactile. I'm just so drawn to a piece like that. Keep it up girl!

Lela said...

Thanks so much, Alice. All I can tell you regarding small torches is this:

I used one of my small butane torches on my first attempt to form fold.
http://lelamccracken.blogspot.com/2012/09/a-crusty-copper-cuff-some-other-stuff.html

It worked, but it just didn't get the copper hot enough. I didn't have much control over where the folds ended up, and it was hard to get the folds open. However, that copper was a thicker gauge than what I'm using now too.

So I'd say, if your copper isn't too heavy, give it a try!

Lela said...

Thanks so much, Cynthia!

Lela said...

Awww, Janet...that's so nice. Thank you!

And thanks for the tip on the MAPP gas. I do have some really thick copper wire (8 gauge I think) that I picked up at an ACE hardware....and I'd love to get that stuff to braze. Maybe MAPP will do the trick!

Lela said...

Thanks so much, Tracy...very kind!

Choke cherries?? You think? I thought they were these wild chinese lantern pods - they were on some sort of tiny vine that had floated across the river I think. At least they were on a sand bar. They're dry (as you can tell) and you can hear a seed in them. They're so fragile and gorgeous - wish I could do something with them besides admire them. ;)

Lela said...

Hi Juliette! Thank you for the kind words...much appreciated!

Lela said...

Thanks so much, Kim. I'm drawn to it as well....just the earthy quality, I think.

mairedodd said...

foldforming is so much fun and i am so glad you did it -
yes, mapp is hotter than propane... butane, propane, mapp... i may have that torch head myself...
and your silver is so beautiful -

Lela said...

Thanks very much, Mary Jane. I may have to get the MAPP when I attempt to braze that heavy copper wire.

PipnMolly said...

I got the name wrong. We have wild pods like those with a small green/yellow 'tomato' like berry inside.

PipnMolly said...

Ground cherries !! that's it.

Lucie said...

Your cuff is gorgeous! Fold forming is definitely on my to-do list!
These little seed pods have a fabulous french name "amours en cage" that means love in a cage. I've never seen that kind of heron round here, he's awesome!

Lela said...

Thank you, Lucie! Yes, you must try form folding - it's so rewarding!

I love the French name for the pods. :)

Lela said...

OH! Gonna have to look that up!