Saturday, November 17, 2012

Soft Opening: WoodridgePlace on Etsy

The Shop Is Open

That's right.

The.Shop.Is.Open.

I've been on round two of jewelry creation for over a year
now and I've built a bit of an inventory.
At least enough inventory for me to take the time
to set up an Etsy Shop.

I've named the shop Woodridge Place.
So I've also re-named this blog Woodridge Place.
Yes, I know.
Confusing?
Ah well.
 I can't believe how much time and effort it takes to 
photograph, describe and post items on Etsy.
I've been at it for days.

Then, there's the Profile and the Welcome and the Shop Policies 
and and and.....

In the end, I finally just said - ENOUGH.
I'll go ahead and open and deal with it
little by little.

If you have any advice for me, PLEASE do share it.
I'm new to this Etsy business but it looks like
it could work quite well.

Eventually I think I'd like to add
a couple of other shops.
Woodridge Place Vintage
(Because I'm vintage & have lots of junk good collectible stuff to offer.)

Woodridge Place Photography
(Because I'm a photographer & have been for years and years.)

Possibly: Woodridge Place Jewelry Components(?) 
Or should those just be in with the jewelry? We'll see.

In the mean time, here's what I'm working on when I have time.

I bought some really, really heavy copper wire a couple months ago
at an Ace Hardware. I think it's 8 gauge. It is HEAVY.
I bought it with the intent to make bangles.

This stuff is HEAVY!

After cutting into sections, my intent was to braze it into circles.
 It was not to be. I ended up having to use my dandy new
huge torch and solder the pieces together.

But even after soldering, I had to wait on an order for a round mandrel. I only had an oval one.
The first mandrel was full of rust and had to be returned. 
The second one arrived quickly and is a work of art in its own right. It made
quick work of turning misshapen bracelets into circles.

I am most fond of the tang that holds my mandrels in a vice. Very handy!

I picked up an old flat iron at an antique all & it makes a great small anvil.
I brought the circles into a flat round with the small flat iron anvil
and leather mallet.

See? Nice and round and flat.
I haven't been back to them since. But I have plans for textures, hammers, beads, stuff(?)
to happen to them...and for sure patina.


This gorgeous tin box grabbed me in an antique mall.
So I have a question to those of you who cut these things apart.
Do you simply cut the shapes and sand the edges? 
It just seems like they would still be sharp.
I really want to cut this one apart.
This is how my work table looks most of the time.
And I'm really ready to get back to it after all that time playing with Etsy stuff. 

Again, if you have any quick advice for me with the Etsy shop, please
do share! I'll do what I can there, but I really want to get
back to creating.
Ya know?
Yeah, you do.
:)
 Carpe Diem!
-L





22 comments:

Alice said...

Congratulations on a new start, both on your blog, and with etsy. Those copper rings are fabulous!!!!! I do hope you sell your handmade components too.

My daughter is just now building an etsy site for me but it is slow going with our busy schedules. I'm anxious to see how it goes.

I purchased a pretty patterned tin several months ago an have yet drummed up the courage to cut the thing. Lorelei Eurto just posted a timely tutorial for cutting tin that you might want to chec out.

Best of luck in your new ventures!

Beatnheart said...

Just jump in and do it...Good photos are important...I think very important. Just get started ...I try and add stuff all the time to keep people coming back. So don’t put everything on at once...two a day...
convo me...email me with any questions ...I ‘ll be happy to help.

good luck,
cynthia

Lela said...

Thank you so much, Alice. I'm wrapping up some things I have to do, then I'm all over those copper bracelets. I can't wait to start giving them character.

And thanks for the heads up on Lorelei's tute. I'll go check it out!

Lela said...

Hi Cynthia! Thanks so much. Woodridge Place is open now. Good hint about adding stuff - thank you!

BTW: I need to mention this on my blog & will next time, but there's another great photo editing site online called iPiccy. It works so much better for me than PicMonkey. I couldn't get PicMonkey to 'save' for me. But I REALLY like iPiccy....tons of options, filters, etc.

artistic rejuvenations said...

congratulations! what an inspiration. xoxo

Sharon said...

Congrats on your new shop, I'm sure you'll do well! Your studio is interesting, especially that cool flat iron, and your wicked vise, at least it looks wicked!

Lela said...

Thank you, Darlene! So nice of you. :)

Lela said...

Thanks so much, Sharon! Most of my studio is inside, but that wicked vice & soldering station/flat iron anvil are in the garage. I'll do some soldering inside, but really like to have a window open & fan on. Out there I like to have the garage door open - but winter is upon us! I need one of those fancy exhaust systems like Tracy (PipnMolly) made.

http://pipnmolly.blogspot.com/search?q=exhaust

PipnMolly said...

Congratulations for needle jumping into the Etsy haystack !!
Your store looks wonderful. Best wishes.

13 said...

Get yourself circulating by doing treasuries, I've found that helps, get a pinterest board with your handmade jewellery, then you can pin from your shop, a FB page could help. They don't massively increase sales but they are all free! Love those chunky bangles.

Lela said...

Thanks for your encouragement, Tracy. Much appreciated!

Lela said...

Thanks, Marcia....I'm not sure I'm up to all that, but maybe after I get back to making a few things. ;)
Your visit and comments are much appreciated!

Sharon Driscoll said...

Way to go Lela! Your work bench just gave me a chuckle - I'm using the same paper plates for parts. Great advice - list every couple of days and FB, Pinterest, and so on...I cut tin using scissors. I use a good set of fiskers or my Joyce Chens. I hear you can punch it out but have never tried it.

Lela said...

Hi Sharon,
I'm going to try cutting into that tin soon.... I hope. ;)
I'd love to have the Swanstrom Round Disc Cutter Set but can't quite bring myself to invest in that right now. Maybe someday. Thanks for stopping by - much appreciated!

Anvil Artifacts said...

Welcome to the wonderful world of Etsy! Wishing you every possible success with your shop, which looks great, btw!
The way I sand tin is to first hit the rough spots with a file. Then I like to use the sanding sponges in three consecuative grits to get the edges nice and smooth. Occasionally have to hit it with another quick swipe with the file, but this method works well for me. Great tin, looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

Lela said...

Thank you, Janet! I appreciate the kind words about the shop.

And thanks even more for your sage advice on the tin. I can't wait to get to it.
Soooooo many things I want to "get to." Ya know?

Kimberly said...

Congratulations Lela! Sorry I'm a bit late on the train of comments here. I meant to get back here sooner.
Just keep those great pieces coming and most of all enjoy what you're doing and don't worry about sales TOO much. I still can't seem to sell any jewelry on Etsy but oh do folks love supplies if you're so inclined in that direction in addition to the jewelry.

Nice tang!... ( I just wanted to say that)
Happy holidays to ya!
xo

Juliette Williams said...

I've been out of it - look what you've done since I've been puttering about! Congratulations on your really lovely shop. It would be great if you want to add components to the shop, I've tried it and some people do want them but I've not added enough to mine to see how they will really do. Good advice above - the free things do help bring in 'lookers'! Facebook, Pinterest and of course your blog all help, and are free. They take a little work on a regular basis but it isn't too bad. xoxo Juliette

Shel said...

Congrats on the Etsy store and changing the blog and all - lots of work, that's for sure! Adding things like others have mentioned does help, as do treasuries, and all the other social media stuff - but they're all time-suckers! ;-) My components/findings do much better than my jewelry, so much so that all I have up so far are earring wires and a couple of clasps in my components shop because I can't keep up (I'm a bit slow on the uptake!). I think both your jewelry and findings/components if you did them would go over very well! I've got two friends setting up new Etsy shops and it's good to have a support group to 'tell you like it is' - sometimes it can seem overwhelming! Best wishes for great success as you move forward!!

Lela said...

Thank you, Kim! And I'm even later in responding to your visit and comment. I'm really not inclined to the component aspect, but we'll see. Hooray for Tang! (Not the powdery juice.) ;)

Lela said...

Thanks always for your visits and comments, Juliette. They are very much appreciated. :)

Lela said...

You're so right, Shel! Time suckers! Argh! I'm hoping I don't become obsessed with the selling aspect of the game, because I want to still love the creative aspect. Thanks always for your visits and comments. Much appreciated!