Sunday, November 4, 2012

Stones, Shells & Puppy Dog Tails

Smooth River Stone and Shell Fragment Pendant

I ordered some diamond coated twist drill bits and 
can't seem to stop drilling holes in things. 
I use my battery operated Dremel because I'm
afraid to use the Foredom. You know, that whole thing
about electricity and water.

And I do love the new fire blaster torch. It's allowing me
to work more with copper.

Copper Headpins

Copper Raindrops
Lots of small, flat, black river stones....
Some of the flat, black stones mixed with copper raindrops on a sliding knot leather cord.
And a detail of same....
Brazed, forged and hammered copper teardrops....
And they're turned into earrings with dark blue fresh water pearls....
More drilling on a shell fragment & white sea glass.
Am also having fun trying out new ways to hang pendants....
I finally found a supply of copper chain on ebay & love having
a big supply so I can cut the length I want.
Then all it needs is Liver of Sulfur, sanding & sealing.

Yet another smooth, flat river stone..and one of the copper raindrop charms.
I've been sealing these stones with Dorland's wax and
really like the smooth, rich finish it gives them.

One of the copper headpins was used here to secure the raindrop & form the hanger.

More small drilled river stones....
And Chase, the Shih Tzu Wonder Dog...was 9 years young on the Nov. 2nd. :)



Carpe Diem!
-L

10 comments:

PipnMolly said...

Happy birthday wonder dog.
Love the river rocks. They look very nice with the copper raindrops. Keep on drilling!
It does feel good to have the right tools.

Kimberly said...

Wow, what a nice body of new work. I love the combo of the smooth river rocks and the copper headpins. Fine stuff!

Lucie said...

It seems you're having fun drilling pebbles! Keep going!!

Anvil Artifacts said...

Drilling holes in things is great fun! I use my flex shaft to drill all the time. I wrap the hand piece with plastic wrap being careful to keep it away from the drill bit. I'm just careful with the water level and keeping it away from the handpiece. Hope that helps.

Alice said...

Wow, look at you go!!!! I love the drilled stones which look wonderful with the copper.

Happy Birthday to the wonder dog!

Chelsea said...

I know how you feel about the holes in things . . . ever since I got my dremel press I can't look at anything without a hole without thinking . . . does it need one??

mairedodd said...

really pretty, no wonder you cannot stop! - thanks for the encouragement -i had been hanging back on drilling into water as well -

Juliette Williams said...

Wow, I'm loving this whole collection of work, and congratulations on your shop!
I've been really looking at Dremels and flex shafts, wondering what to get. I haven't drilled into stone, but looking at what you've done I've gotten a bit 'hungry' to try.

Happy Birthday dear Wonder dog too - xoxo Juliette

Ryan said...

Wonder! Doggy! :)

Lela said...

Thanks so much, all!

Ryan: He's a keeper! :)