Sunday, December 30, 2012

Seamless Rings


I figured I better post today so I wouldn't
completely miss posting in December.
How did that happen, you say?
Well, I'll tell you.
I blame Etsy.

Yes.

Etsy.

Well, Etsy *and* the holidays.
Thanksgiving and Christmas
Cooking and Cleaning
Company
All that good stuff.
I love it.

It's great finally having an Etsy shop open, but I do
find that I'm a little too obsessed with checking on it.
I didn't want that to happen. I have sold a few things,
which pleases me to no end. But I don't want to be
obsessed with the selling. I'd much rather be obsessed with
the making. And Santa brought me some new toys so
I'm really anxious to put them to good use.

Swanstrom Round Disc Cutter Set
 I've been wanting a disc cutter and have read lots of reviews....
and seriously, how can you go wrong when this thing has
five stars on Rio Grande from 37 reviewers.
It's amazing!

Santa even sprung for the Center-Positioning Die Set

Seriously. Who thought of this?! Well, I know who did...I think I read about her
the  other day, but it's seriously amazing. Someone on a jewelry blog said she
couldn't imagine what you'd want a 1/8" hole for...but I sure can.
Look at those little gems! If I had a better dapping set, I could really turn those into
bead caps. My little set will just barely dome them. 

Yes! You can turn the washers into seamless rings. How cool is that?!?  

I'm blown away by this. And here's a great 
video on Rio to show how it's done.
I can't wait to try it with silver!


Blogger is acting so weird tonight.

Maybe I'll look back over the last year
of blogging for the next post. 
I sort of know how the year has gone, jewelry wise,
but it's always good to take inventory.

Happy New Year, Everyone!

And Carpe Diem! :)
-L




 

















             

















10 comments:

Juliette Williams said...

oh, you lucky girl! What a present. I recently got a used disc cutter, not a Swanstrom but one where you whack the sheet into submission. Hah!

Happy New Year, and Happy metalsmithing! I personally can't wait to get back into the thick of it. xoxo Juliette

artistic rejuvenations said...

happy new year!

Sharon Driscoll said...

Happy New Year Lela. I just received the same Swanstrom set. Im tickled to no end to begin punching round pieces out without my old set. I can't begin to tell you how hard I had to whack at that set. This is like a dream.

Right now Im trying to think of how to grime up some tin earrings ala' Fancilful but havent quite got it right. Any ideas? I've got the oxydizing tut and the tin one too but nothing in there on grime.

LOL - what next! Have a great New Years Eve and lets make tons of new stuff!

Tracy DiPiazza said...

Nice toy. Santa was good to you !
.....and yes, I agree. DO be obsessed with
the making first.

Alice said...

Oh I want--need one of these!!! You must have been a very good girl to get one. Think of all the things you could do with this!!

Wishing you all the best in the new year!

Lela said...

Thank you, Juliette. This thing is AMAZING. :)

Happy New Year to you, too!

Lela said...

Thank you, Darlene. And HappyHappyNewYear to you too. :)

Lela said...

Thank you, Sharon! Hooray, you got one too!

I love this thing....it's so seriously amazing. I had no idea it would be this great! I've never had one, so nothing to compare to, but I'll take your word. :)

You want to grime some tin....Hrm. If it's not oxidizing you have in mind, please do define "grime." Maybe wipe brown acrylic paint on them - wipe some off? Or let it dry and sand some off??

Happy New Years Eve, Sharon! :)

Lela said...

Thanks so much, Tracy. Yes, the making rocks. The business of selling...not so much. I need someone else to take care of that part!

Happy New Year, Tracy!

Lela said...

Yes, Alice. You NEED one. I had no idea it would be so amazing.

Happy New Year to you and yours, Alice. :)