Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Sidetracked & a Bit of New Stuff

It seems like everyone in jewelry blog-land likes to
find their "word of the year." Well, I'm thinking maybe
mine might just be "sidetracked." Yeah? 
You like it, don't you? ;)
No matter what I'm working on, I tend to get sidetracked.
So why not just go with it?! 
That's just how I roll.

Black Bangle Stack
 I've been working sporadically the last couple
of days on this bangle stack.
A couple of them are with memory wire.
I actually like working with that stuff!

With Memory Wire & several Up-Cycled Beads

Memory Wire with Up-Cycled Beads, Bead Caps & a carved African Focal Bead


Fibers and Beads make their way into Wrapped Bangles

 My very favorite old pair of knit lounging pants gave it up for
this soft gray bangle. Sweet memories of lounging days.


That's a Red Creek Jasper focal presiding over this organic bracelet.
And I really like that porcelain glove mold that I picked up
in an antique mall.

Hand forged clasp and copper leaf charm take their places on the bracelet.
There's a lot of mixed metals going on in this bracelet. 
I made it quite some time ago but today I got sidetracked ;)
and decided to change out the clasp for a hand forged one....and add
the copper Vintaj leaf charm.

That background may be a little busy...hmmm.



That might be a little better.....
I just can't resist Red Creek Jasper.
Hope your week is going well. It's cold here and there's still snow
on the ground. Therefore, I'm dreaming of sand and beaches!

Carpe Diem!
-L

11 comments:

Sharon Driscoll said...

Okay, giving up your comfy pants for your art - I LOVE it. And those are some fantastic photographs of your work...not even to begin to mention the bracelet combination rocks (and not just becasue of the Jasper).

PipnMolly said...

I was thinking the same as Sharon. Beautiful photos and woodsy rich colors bracelet.

Juliette Williams said...

Beautiful work, Lela!! I've missed looking at your things. Happy New Year, Juliette

Anvil Artifacts said...

Sidetracked? Hahahaha! It hasn't kept you from creating more beautiful arm candy. You'll give the word sidetracked a whole new meaning!

Beatnheart said...

whoo hoo...love the jasper...keep up on being sidetracked...i sure know the feeling lady friend!!!

Lela said...

Thanks so much for stopping by, dear friends. I do appreciate the visits.

Re: the photos.

http://ipiccy.com/

Free. Easy. Upload. Apply filters or tweak & save. Check it out.

Alice said...

Beautiful! I love the bangles, and how clever to recycle your lounge pants! I love all kinds of jaspers but got away from using gemstones so much after I became smitten with all sorts of artisan beads. I really need to get back to using gemstones as they were my first love.

Sidetracked--that's me in a nutshell.

Beatnheart said...

Hi Lela,
thanks for the nice compliment ie. my wire wrapping. if you made your own copper findings looks like you know what you are doing girl...anyhow...I use 18 gauge steel wire from hardware store for my “frames” ..not a lot of wrapping on that wire just form a frame around a dowel or whatever...i wrap with 24 gauge steel wire also from hardward store..just give yourself a inch or so to start so you have something to hold on to. I just tried copper wire today...18 gauge..omg so easy to use! my new love...any questions about anything feel free to ask anytime...xxxx bheart

Lela said...

Thanks, Cynthia. I think I have every wire that Ace Hardware sells. (Copper, Steel, Aluminum, you name it.) Just got some 22 gauge copper yesterday to make bead chains with. I agree, 18 gauge copper is really nice to work with....however, your beautiful work really leaves me something to shoot for. Yours just looks so smooth and finished!

Chelsea said...

Dude, I totally know what you mean about that jasper. Fire Mountain had a sale on it a while ago and I finally got enough to tide me over for the time being . . . it's not all as nice as that bead, though.

I was just thinking that my work of the year might be something similar - maybe "distracted"? ;)

Lela said...

Oh yes, Chelsea. "Distracted" works as well. ;)