Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Some Jewelry and Some Art


Sterling ear wires, coconut shell beads and some of Kim's (Numinosity) headpins.
They started out like this...with no idea really where they were going.

Earrings outside my comfort zone. But they were fun!

Then we have these. They were more of a practice in ear wire construction.

Sterling Silver and Coral

Sterling Silver and Obsidian
My hairdresser loves bracelets so she got this one for Christmas. Swarovski crystals and fresh water coin pearls....with a hand formed clasp.


Then we have the work table...just for Tracy. This is just part of my work space.

I love the big south windows...with lots of bird feeders just outside.


The kiln and another work space for soldering and patina are in the garage.
I have grand plans to have a big long workbench put in out there.
We'll see if that ever happens. 



And back to the "studio room" inside...one corner is for painting. I'm feeling the
urge to start smearing oils again. It's been a long time since I did.
Any art work in the last several years has been acrylics and collage.
Since you're still here, I'll show you a few. 

Yes, I was doing an exercise in this shot. I think I'm ready for color now.

And from years past, we have these.....

As it says.....It's a collage.
And here are a couple of very large acrylic paintings.

This is acrylic and is 3 feet X 4 feet.
 I saw both of these as 8"x10" ADs in a shoe store.
If you are familiar with Pop Art, you'll know that
the AD was imitating that style.
I thought it would be fun and funny to make the style do a 
complete circle and paint the ADs as *large* pieces of Pop Art.
In case you're not familiar,  the masters of the Pop Art movement
used tiny cartoon, Ads, etc and painted them LARGE...
even including the benday dots (a printing process in
colored cartoons at that time.) Depending on the effect, color and optical illusion needed, small colored dots were closely spaced, widely spaced or overlapping.
Ben-Day dots were considered the hallmark of American artist Roy Lichtenstein, who enlarged and exaggerated them in many of his paintings and sculptures.
I gave another one of these to our son, but I can't find a photo of it.
And I have another drawn which needs paint.
I have a feeling it might get painted over.

Another acrylic painting...and also 3 feet X 4 feet in size.
And from a VERY long time ago, here are a few watercolor paintings.




And for your viewing pleasure....a couple more acrylic paintings.

The Village - Acrylics 18 X 24


The Iris - Acrylics  24 X 30 (Or something close to that.)  ;)





Here are a couple of my acrylic paintings when I had a show at the local Art Center.

I almost forgot the computer corner. One day soon, I'm afraid that Mac G5 is going to jump off the desk. That's why I do most of my work on the laptop. Yes, the G5 is all backed up. Several times & in several places.
 And one last piece of work that was so much fun!
This is an assemblage piece made from things I picked up on the
beach early one morning!

"shell" .....and other sundry items collected on the beach. Gulfport, Mississippi, 7 a.m. March 19, 1998
I think a lot of that must have washed over from New Orleans.

I guess I better bring this to an end with another piece of jewelry.
Yet another copper disc ring...doing the double disc.
The discs are soldered together and have little pieces of sterling
casting grain soldered into the center. The sterling was flattened, then the
discs were domed and soldered to a seamless copper ring.

Double Disc and Domed copper and sterling ring.


And another new pair of earrings.
Sapphire.




I tried to make this post as long as Janet's, but I think I failed miserably.
Ah well.
Perhaps next time.

Carpe Diem!
-L

5 comments:

PipnMolly said...

Wonderful. Thanks for sharing. I love to see where people create their work. Brings us a bit closer in this virtual world. Such a variety of talent you have!
Great window space with bird watching and cozy corner to paint. I have a railroad anvil too.
Love your computer room lighting and the 'out of comfort zone' earrings are beautiful.

Kimberly said...

Wow, check out the spectrum of your talent! Those are some outrageous watercolors..sheesh! I love seeing past works of artists to see how there mediums and styles have changed and evolved.
I probably should show my current studio set up here at my southern abode one day.
I like what you did with the headpins. I think they must have steered you toward the asymmetry. I like it!

Anvil Artifacts said...

Wow! You have some mad talent! The watercolor of the man in the boat is fabulous! Wonderful to see the range of what you can do and where you do it! Love all of your paintings. Seriously impressive scope of abilities. Trying to make a long post, eh? Hahaha. You've gone one better! You've achieved quality over quantity. Again-wow!

Sharon Driscoll said...

Hey Lela - You got some mad talents that run very deep. Love seeing the studio. It's great to be able to visualize where everyone is working and does make the distances feel smaller. Seriously love the Op art pieces. WOWZER stuff girlfriend.

Lela said...

Thanks so much all for your visits and comments...they are very much appreciated!