Sunday, April 28, 2013

Ice Resin


"ICE Resin® is a crystal clear resin that is jeweler’s grade with 
unmatched quality. It can be used in jewelry, craft projects, paper arts and more. 
Its safe to use indoors and is the ideal use for projects you want to preserve." 
-Ice Resin
The Ice Resin site has a lot of useful information, videos and help.
Check it out.



Kudos to Mary Jane Dodd for her personal help and great info about ice resin over on 
Love My Art Jewelry.  She posted it in January of last year, but
it's still very timely. And her work is beautiful!

Here are a few pics showing the making of resin paddles.

Paddles were formed from 16 gauge pure copper wire.
The paddles were flattened and given a bath in Liver of Sulfur.
The paddles were buffed with sandpaper & sealed.

Deciding what words to use was a fun exercise.

Adding resin per directions. Let cure 24 hours.
Some paper worked better than others.
Overall, I was quite pleased with the  results.
Of course now, I want to resin all manner of things.

I used one of the paddles in another piece for my Texas client.
I'm very happy to report that she was very happy with the last piece I did for her. Yay!
This paddle is on her newest piece.
It also has a domed, etched disc and a gorgeous Rutilated quartz bead.

She sent the brown crystal beads with me & her only request was that I use copper.

The back is silk cord---easy on the neck. And the bead caps continue the copper theme.


Hand made - etched, copper bead caps. I just love the Swanstrom Disc Cutter!
Hand forged copper clasp....

Copper paddle earrings that have patina & sealer - The same little crystal beads are in the necklace.
She loves the earrings and I'm so glad! I do too.

If you've been wanting to try resin. Just do it.
I'll be happy to answer any questions about the process....if I can. ;)

Carpe Diem!
-L

6 comments:

Juliette Williams said...

Lela! Beautiful work. Especially loved the hand-forged clasp (very LoBue). The paddles and the ICE resin - something I've not tried, although I've tried resin (another brand) unsuccessfully. You've made me want to look at it again. xoxo J

Anvil Artifacts said...

Wonderful! Love your resin text charms and necklace. Ice resin is so addictive and fun. Great post!

Jiorji said...

i looooove resin! never tried ice resin but it's so fun to use! will give it a try with paper next time and see what happens

the necklace came out beautiful :)

Beatnheart said...

scared of da resin! I even bought some (not Ice) they didn’t have it at Michaels...love those paddles...I may be buggin you soon to help me...love the look of your new things...just awesome!
xxCynthia

Sharon Driscoll said...

Love the new necklace...and I like how the neck piece in along the back is soft - that's about the best attachment I've seen for using something soft. It's simple and elegant, doesn't try to be anything it isn't. Very well done Lela. I LOVE it. And the paddles are great fun. I've had classes with Susan and she's just a pip - great! Ice Resin is definitely the best on the market.

Lela said...

Thanks so much, ladies, for stopping by...your comments are always greatly appreciated!!