Monday, May 27, 2013

Ring-A-Ding-Ding.....and a Bangle

I love the flashes of blue and green in Labradorite.

Labradorite and Sterling

According to an Eskimo legend, the Northern Lights were once imprisoned in the rocks along the coast of Labrador. It is told that a wandering Eskimo warrior found them and was able to free most of the lights with a mighty blow of his spear. Some of the lights were still trapped within the stone, and thus we have today the
beautiful mineral known as Labradorite.

OR

Labradorite is a variety of Feldspar, originally named after being discovered in Labrador, Newfoundland (Canada). It is found in several countries, although known as Spectrolite in some locations, due to the many brilliant spectral colors of "flash" or "schiller" which can be seen when light is reflected from it. The several areas of Madagascar where Labradorite is mined provide perhaps the largest concentration of this gem mineral found on the planet. Madagascar produces the world's best quality of Labradorite. 
(This Labradorite is from Madagascar.)
I might have to keep this ring....I'm smitten.

Copper Bangle with Sterling Silver Accents


What's that? You'd like to see it without a filter? OK!

 

I'm not sure this is finished. I might have to brush it more & add more patina. Stay tuned.

A New Seamless Ring: All Sterling

No iPiccy filter



Filter


I'm beginning to see a series of these rings.....I guess the series needs a name.

Blogger is going crazy today. It keeps popping into italics. 
What's up with that?!?


Carpe Diem!
-L

12 comments:

Jiorji said...

i like the first story better! i LOOOVE how labradorite sparkles depending on how you hold it. It's a pain to photograph but it's so beautiful. Makes total sense that the Northern Lights are trapped in it :D

Sharon Driscoll said...

Beautiful job on that ring Lela and love the information you put in there about the stone. I agree with Jiorji - that stone is a bugger to photograph sometimes. I used come in a pair of earrings and couldn't get the "flash" at all. I think you could do a whole series on that ring technique - it's cool.

Beatnheart said...

love that ring Lela!!!!! both rings....cool.

PipnMolly said...

You and that new torch are dynamite together. Beautiful pieces.

Lela said...

Heh. I like the first story best too. :D And yes, it's a pain to photograph!

Lela said...

Thanks a bunch, Sharon!

Lela said...

Thank very much, Cynthia.

Lela said...

Ah, thanks, Tracy! I do feel like things are working better for me with the smaller & more powerful Smith Little torch. I feel like I have better control.

Anvil Artifacts said...

Gorgeous new pieces! I see why you're smitten with the labradorite ring. You did a beautiful job with it! Some things are meant to be kept.

Lela said...

Hi Janet. Thank you so much.

13 said...

Such amazing work, they have a zen quality to them, love the clean lines of that silver ring.

Lela said...

Thanks so much, Marcia. I do appreciate you stopping by. Maybe "Zen" needs to be in the series name. I like the clean lines too...