Saturday, June 1, 2013

BronzClay, Feathered Friends, Herb Festival and More

Let's start with the Bronzclay™, shall we?
 


It's been at least a year (I think) since I worked with any metal clays.
I still had a couple packages of un-opened Bronzclay™ waiting for me.

It was a little harder than I had hoped, but with a little conditioning (water and lavendar oil)
it was ready to go. 

23 pieces from a 100g package of clay
All of the pieces were 6 cards thick except the ring on the right side.
I wanted it thicker, so I adjusted the firing time.
I ramped the kiln 250° per hour to 1550° and then held it
at 1550° for three hours.
(Normally I would ramp at 500° per hour to 1550° and hold for 2 hours.)

Everything sintered! Yea!
Lots of Moon Sprouts!
The two sprouts on the left are from this firing. I don't think you can tell, but 
they have a very rough texture - very much like they were just dug up from the earth.
The two on the right were from a year or so ago, and were tumbled. They are much
smoother in texture.  I rather like the way this batch came out so will probably
not tumble them. I may, however, take a torch to a couple of pieces to see
how they change colors. (There are already several colors in the batch.)

The last time I worked with Bronzclay™I made sure everything was nice
and smooth. This time I wanted it to take on a very old, artifact appearance.
You can see some fingerprints on them, but I also used a rubber stamp
to add script inpressions.


Time out for a few shots of some of our local feathered friends.


Indigo Bunting

Baltimore Oriole

Painted Bunting

Swainson's Thrush

Yellow Warbler sitting on a hypertufa birdbath I made.

 

  Herb Festival Interlude

The local Herb Festival is held each year on the first Saturday of June.
This year I bought a house.
Yes I did!

It's a Jackson Pollock house. ;)

I also bought some buttons and lace. I don't use many buttons, but who could
resist a quart for $3.00?!?

Who needs buttons?

Beautiful old lace and a tatting shuttle for $2.00!
Actually the lace was in an old sewing basket. I left the basket
with the vendor since all I wanted was the lace. I seriously don't know
how you do this stuff.  I had an aunt who knew how...but it looks so tedious to me!


I don't think I ever showed you the Mother's Day card I got from my Lovely Daughter.


Cracks me up! :D

 

Let's wind this up with a few shots from my gardens, shall we?

My new Passion Vine. Amazing!

Pink Lemonade Honeysuckle

Collected shells and Rocks in a newly added swirl and another hypertufa birdbath.
 I like this explanation of a swirl:
"It represents the cycle of the seasons and the cycles of Life, growth and change. Although each loop of the spiral brings one back to the same place, it takes one to a 
higher and more evolved level at each turn."

Random red clay tile planters, hostas, etc.

All of our Spiderwort is always blue-violet. This year we have a renegade.

 

Who's that?

Why that's me in my new toy. :)
And that's my view.

 

Where shall we paddle today?

How about paddling out there?

That's it for today, sports fans. Until next time. 

Carpe Diem!
-L

14 comments:

Anvil Artifacts said...

wonderful post! Your bronze pieces turned out great. Your garden is magnificent! especially love your passion flower. thank you for sharing your garden photos. you look like you're having an absolute blast in your new toy. adventures ahead for your summer.

PipnMolly said...

Bronze clay looks like fun. Nice ancient looking pieces. So many lovely little birds in your garden. Wonderful pictures.

Jiorji said...

i LOVE that pink lemonade honeysuckle! my passionvine won't bloom. I took it over to my mom's house. Maybe it lacks in sunshine here where it sat by the window. It's weird. I don't know what's wrong with it..

Beatnheart said...

Bronze clay envy...

artistic rejuvenations said...

bronze clay. wow! totally cool looking batch you created. fabulous feathered friends and flowers. have fun on the river!

Lela said...

Thank you, Janet...always glad to have you stop by. I feel a bit guilty about the garden areas since I'm pulled to work on jewelry instead.

Lela said...

Thank you, Tracy. Yes, bronze clay is fun...especially when it does what it's supposed to. ;)

Lela said...

Curious about your passion vine, Jiorji. My vines are in a shaded area and in fact have a hosta shading their little toes. They do get a lot of water...maybe that's it? Who knows. I like the pink lemonade too.

Lela said...

Heh. It's fun, Cynthia. Thanks for the visit.

Lela said...

Thanks a bunch, Darlene - Yes, looking forward to many hours on the water.

Lucie said...

It seems you had fun with bronze clay, I must definitely try it! Great pieces!
Your birds are so colorful!! The Jackson Pollock House will be just the perfect fit for them!
I haven't paddled in my kayak this year yet, this spring is so windy that if I go out there on the Estuary plus the tides I won't have enough force in my arms to paddle back. Your spot for paddling is awesome!! Where is it? oh and that dream of a house on the rock!! Amazing!

Lela said...

Thank you, Lucie. Metal clays are amazing...I want to try copper next.

Most of those birds are migrants...so they're just passing through. I wish they were full time residents!

I love the kayak! We have a city lake just over the hill from us which has some quiet coves that are just perfect for our style of kayaking. Apparently that little house on the rock is in the middle of the Drina River, near the town of Bajina Basta, Serbia. Incredible, isn't it?!

Lela said...

Oh, and we're not in Serbia. We're in Oklahoma in the US. :)

RaggedRobyn said...

WOW fab bronze clay! I have some of this but I'm too scared to use it. This is very inspiring...may have to open the packet soon.