Thursday, June 20, 2013

The more I solder, the more I solder.

Caribou Tine Pendant

I was given some shed Caribou tines last Christmas.
They had been nicely smoothed and polished.

Falling back on one of my recent styles of using small flattened balls of sterling, I decided
to use Tracy's pods as design inspiration & go to town with one of the tines.

Caribou Tines
I first cut two discs and soldered sterling balls to the smaller one of them.

I flattened the balls with my trusty planishing hammer.
And I domed the same disc.

Understand that there was quite a lot of sanding going on between all these steps.

Two holes were punched & a sterling bail was added.
A bezel was made for the base of the tine & soldered to the larger of the discs.
The dome section was soldered to the bezel disc.
The whole piece was treated with Liver of Sulfur and tumbled.

The tine was seated into its bezel with a little plumber's putty and the bezel pressed around it.



And I'm still weighing chain vs. leather......

Or possibly even something else...

Thanks, Tracy, for the pod inspiration.

Carpe Diem!
-L

12 comments:

PipnMolly said...

How nice. You inspire me as well. It's a lovely piece.

Sharon Driscoll said...

Would it be totally weird to say that these make a person "horny"? Uh, more than likely! What I mean is that it makes an artist desire some "horned" pieces to work with but horny is what came out in a burst of laughter and puns that are running through my head. Beautiful execution Lela - Maybe brown leather, several strands.

Lela said...

Thanks, Tracy! I appreciate you stopping by.

Lela said...

Yes, Sharon...it would be totally weird! lol :D Yes, I'd also decided on leather...but I'm thinking black.

sue said...

This is just lovely! I agree multi strand brown leather for a shorter style but a lovely sterling chain if it is a navel- grazing length.

Lela said...

Thanks, Sue! I'm actually toying with the idea of adding a bunch more stuff with it....who knows what'll happen. ;)

Anvil Artifacts said...

Love this piece! The very first piece I ever soldered was a fossil coral in that exact shape. So this strikes a special chord with me. Beautiful treatment with the silver work.

Lela said...

Thank you for stopping by, Janet! Much appreciated. :)

Juliette Williams said...

I love how you worked with the sterling on top of the bezel, it really amplifies the beauty of the natural tine! You really do lovely work, and I enjoy following your progress. :)

Beatnheart said...

i want this....

leather.

Lela said...

Thanks for stopping by, Juliette. I appreciate the kind words.

Lela said...

Me too, Cynthia. heh. ;) I'll be keeping this one...but I have another to work on. Yes, I think leather is the answer.