Sunday, July 14, 2013

A Possible Addiction to FIMO


 You say addiction like it's a bad thing. 
Maybe this addiction won't last long, but for now
it's really fun!

And it's all Cynthia's fault.
Well, it's always nice to blame someone else for your own addiction, right?
Seriously, though...when I saw her blog post on polymer clay 
I decided to give it a whirl. I was about to purchase some ceramic clay yesterday
but instead decided to pick up a couple packages of FIMO.


Three Biggie Beads

 This has been a FUN two days!

We'll call these "bendies" because...well, they bend!

That's right. It seems if you get the clay too thin it won't completely harden.
Maybe someone has a hint for me about that.
Or maybe I'll need to purchase a tute.
Or maybe I *LIKE* them bendy! Yeah, that's it!

Made in a mold of an ammonite....
 Yes, I made several molds when I first started getting into
BronzClay.™
 (And speaking of that...I have some bronze in the kiln today.)

Molded in the actual ammonite.



Had to try out adding wires...seems to work okay.



My tendency for earth colors seems apparent....
And seriously, I have a ton of acrylics...even some nice bright colors.
I just could.not.do.it.on.these.

There's one thing about the painting....I can't keep my hands out of it.

Never could. Never will.

And this is a group of red clay that just came out of the oven.
I can't get over how it looks like red ceramic clay!



Just a couple closeups...because I wanted to.


Now I have to figure out whether to spray them with Krylon Matte Finish
or...just rub them with some wax. Or both?

Suggestions??

Thank you, Cynthia. :)
Carpe Diem!
-L

14 comments:

Jiorji said...

i always had trouble keeping the wires. i always test it out to see if they pull out cos the clay never sticks cos it shrinks. maybe *I* need a tutorial too lol

did you use acrylics to paint them?

polymer shouldn't be bendy. i think you need to cook it longer. i do 275*F for 25 minutes

Lela said...

The wires seem really solid...I can't pull them out.

Yes, I used acrylics. See that pic where it's all over my hands. ;)

Well, the FIMO company site says:
If you harden FIMO at temperatures above 110°C (230°F) it will become more flexible. The ideal hardening temperature is 110°C (230° F)for 30 minutes."

I was doing it at about 265 & it got really bendy...although it does harden more as it cools to room temp.

It's a mystery, that's for sure!!

Kimberly Rogers said...

Just do a little loopy at the end of the wire and they won't pull out. these are totally wonderful and I see you've caught the bug too. Polymer sluts unite!

Lela said...

Thank you, Kim. I had to laugh when I read your comment...after Jiorji mentioned the wires I thought to myself . o O ( why didn't I just put a little hook on the end?) :)

Good idea! Yes, polymer sluts unite!

gretchen said...

Love these! I just bought a polymer clay tute and looking at your work, I know I need to get my butt in gear. Really special beads you've made here!

Lela said...

Welcome, Gretchen! Thanks for the kind words...it's fun. Get busy & join the polymer sluts! I look forward to seeing yours. :)

Alice said...

Your beads are fabulous! I just love the earthy colors. I'm glad you embraced this addiction!

Lela said...

Hi Alice! Thank you for stopping by & for the kind comment. I love trying new mediums...and the clay is so soothing somehow.

Sharon Driscoll said...

Wow, you're right the red polymer looks exactly like the clay and frankly less fuss with doing polymer. I'm not sure but I would think the weight is somewhat close to the fired earthenware and you can get some nice size pieces without the weight of it all. LOVE the look you are getting and the long "bendies" look great so I can't wait to see what you are planning. Are those manicured nails I see under the usual artistic grime?

Anvil Artifacts said...

Gorgeous results! Love the effect you achieved with the paint, another medium you've mastered beautifully.

Lela said...

Hey Sharon, I appreciate the visit.. You're not the only one who is wondering what those "bendies" are going to become. hehe

Lela said...

Awww. Thank you, Janet! :)

fanciful devices said...

OMG gimme gimme!! how did you get the textures on the bendies? i wanna see your mark making tool! i LOVE these! i cant believe you're new to this.

Lela said...

Hey, Marina - Secret marking tool. I'll post a pic of it on the next blog post...I wonder when that'll be.... Glad you like - many thanks for stopping by.