Saturday, October 19, 2013

Autumn, Fossils, Colorado, Ceramics, Earrings, More.....

We spent the last two weeks of September in Colorado. Love the Golden Aspens!
More Autumn Colors in Colorado
Colorado does White in Autumn too!
Trilobite Fossil - Purchased in Creede, CO.
It's only about an inch long.

"No animal better captures the drama of evolution and extinction. Long before the fish inhabited the seas and the Dinosaurs roamed the land, Trilobites appeared some 600 million years ago during the Cambrian period. They belonged the phylum Arthropodal (joint-footed), a phylum which to this day represents the most successful (78%) of all animal life forms, including crabs, centipedes, spiders, shrimps and insects.The Trilobites, living in shallow seas, flourished as swimmers, crawlers and burrowers for some 350 million years. They evolved rapidly into many beautiful, bizarre and, even by today's standards, futuristic forms." Cool, huh?

 And the rock hounding bug bit me while we were in Colorado.
We found a few specimens...not sure what they all are.

There's some quartz in there...but who knows what else?!
The same specimen....
This one makes me want to get a lapidary slab saw!
Flint? If it is, it's made from quartz.
Love the texture in these bubbles!

These were all found where we were told there was agate & jasper.

I found this at Creede, CO and of course it's gold!!! (Not. It's pyrite.)

 
Most certainly the center is a spear point - all three were worked pieces.
Amazing to see how the flint was worked and shaped.

We went fossil hunting after we got home & found the following
on our local river banks.

That tiny circle is a cross section of a crinoid stem.
End of a crinoid stem OK-I think Janet is right...After research, I believe this to be a branching coral. Thanks, Janet!
The size of the same stem....
We found wildlife in Colorado too. Papa Moose!
Mama Moose & Baby Moose
And a White-Lined Sphinx Moth...
Love the waterfalls in Colorado.
I actually have worked on a few jewelry projects
since I got home. Remember that 25 pound chunk of clay I bought?

112 pieces ready for the kiln
Love Letters Discs

And some of them are finally listed.

As you can probably tell, these are pretty LARGE..
Moon Goddesses

Pendant that was molded from an Ammonite


Another hand formed pendant...

And here are some of those components added to earrings. Finally!

And a pair using both my own ceramic discs & bronze clay discs.
I leave you with this cutie. I don't have cats, but this one kept posing for me. :)

PS: Janet Loomis (anvilartifacts) has a new tutorial out called "The Easiest Metal Casting You Will Ever Do." I really want to check this out one day soon! I'm sure it's a winner! :)

PSS: Marina Rios (fancifuldevices) also has a recent tute out called "Cosmic Rocks: Setting Rough Stones with Epoxy Putty and Gold Leaf." You will be dazzled! :)

Carpe Diem!
-L


11 comments:

Anvil Artifacts said...

What wonderful pictures and terrific finds! Impossible to come back from Colorado without a few rocks, eh? Cool green rock. You might have yourself a nice hunk of branch coral regarding that piece in question. Nice finds one and all. Beautiful job with the clay pieces, especially "love letters". Welcome home!

fanciful devices said...

beautiful photos, GORGEOUS components! love that cat too.

Alice said...

A girl after my own heart! As a kid my dad would always stop at rock shops and us girls would marvel over all the wonders there (mom was not so excited) Dad had a good eye for spotting potential places to find arrowheads and pottery and he was rarely wrong. Your photos of Colorado are lovely! They make me want to go back soon! I'm glad you had a good trip.

Lela said...

You're right, Janet, Colorado rocks, rock! Branch coral, huh? I'll check that out...it sure doesn't look like a crinoid stem to me. Thanks for the kind words!

BTW: I was going to mention that you have a new tute out! It looks amazing. No time for me to try it right now, but one day I shall. :) And I'm going to add a link in up there too.

Check this out people - looks like Janet will have you doing metal casting!!
Janet's New Tute on Metal Casting

Lela said...

Thanks, Marina! OH, And I meant to give you a shout out as well...for your recent tutorial. It's another one I want to try out! So many things to try, so little time.

Here it is, in case you missed it folks:
Cosmic Rocks: Setting Rough Stones with Epoxy Putty and Gold Leaf by fancifuldevices. One day I shall also get to check this one out. It looks amazing!

Lela said...

Thank you, Alice. It was a fantastic trip. I've always loved picking things up from the ground: rocks, arrowheads, shells, leaves, pine cones, seeds, twigs, did I say rocks? ;)

Anvil Artifacts said...

Thank you so much for the kind mention of my new tute, Lela. So thoughtful of you! :)

Lela said...

My pleasure! I look forward to owning the tute someday soon. And BTW, thanks for the heads-up on the unknown fossil. After closer observation, I believe it to be a branching coral (as you mentioned.) It is showing the very beginnings of branching on one end. TY!

Sharon Driscoll said...

It looks like you have been having a wonderful fall. I love the new work - isn't clay just a great time?

Lela said...

Yes, Sharon! I find working with clay very relaxing and meditative. But there's also a lot of time and work involved - especially when it comes time to add the various colors and sealers.

Christi Conley said...

I am here returning some blog love you left me on my Alcohol Inks. . . when you get settled PLEASE contact me about your faces - I am fairly certain I NEED them :) Thanks ~