Thursday, January 8, 2015

2015 - How did that happen?

Well, that year went fast, didn't it?
Funny how we say that all the time....
Is it because we're just not paying attention, or is
it because we waste a LOT of time OR we're just so busy?

My ::word:: for last year was FOCUS.

Focus takes concentration and determination.
I seem to have focus problems with Focus.

~~~~~~

(Time out for a Punny little Story.)

Back during the days of the former Soviet Union, a fellow by the name of 
Gerald Chattington had a friend in the Soviet Embassy by the name of Rudolph Nosov, who would drop by occasionally. One evening, Gerald and his wife, Peg, were sitting in the kitchen chatting when Gerald looked out the window and said, "Look, it's snowing." Rudolph looked out and said very quickly, "No, I think it is just rain." "I'm sure it is snow," insisted Gerald. "And I am just as sure that it is rain," said Rudolph. At this point Gerald turned to Peg to settle the argument. Peg looked out the window for a moment, then said, 
"What can I say? Rudolph, the Red, knows rain, dear.

BaDaBoom! ;)

~~~~~~~~

Perhaps I did better with ::focus:: in 2014
than I did in 2013. (Yes, it was my word for that year too.)

But this year I'm borrowing from 
Toy Story.
"To Infinity and Beyond"

I want to learn new techniques and perfect at least two.
That doesn't seem like it's asking too much, does it?
The only hitch is that I have no workshops close to me
so it's just going to be YouTube and books.

I want to perfect flush setting of stones.
(Some refer to them as gypsy settings.)
I have a pile of loose (tiny) CZs similar to this
photo I found on ebay.

I got my tiny 2 and 3mm CZs from Rio Grande.
They're my 'go-to' source for all things jewelry.

 
 Do you think I can set them like this?


Photo Credit: http://www.kings1912.com/
 I have confidence. I have a few tools. 


After all, I finally figured out tube settings:



So can flush settings be far behind?
I'm telling you all this so I'll be accountable for my actions.  ;)

~~~~~~

Time for another pun? Yes? :)


A panda walks into a restaurant and orders a sandwich. 
When he receives the check, he pulls out a gun, fires it several times, then walks out the door. A stunned patron then asks the waiter, "What was that all about?" 
The waiter responded, "That's just the way pandas are," and walked away. 
Well, the patron didn't know what a panda was, 
so at home that night he looks up "panda" in the dictionary and 
what he finds explained everything: 
"Panda: A large black-and-white bear-like mammal, native to China; eats shoots and leaves."

~~~~~

 I mentioned I want to learn at least two things this year.
The second one is prong settings.
We'll see how that goes.  ;)

I haven't really made any New Years Resolutions this year.
Last year's was:
 "I shall not go into a Walmart during 2014."

I kept it! I was NOT in a Walmart store the whole year,
I'm buying what I can in locally owned stores.
That worked out really well for me....
I think it kept me sane. Well...yeah.   ;)

I told Santa I wanted tools, etc. and I got a few new
ones. Hopefully they'll help me with my new goals.

And I made it to Yoga this week.
Yoga is so great and helps clear my mind.
I'll be going back again and again
because I really loved the class & instructor.
Plus, I didn't die.

No, I didn't do this.

I hope you had a good holiday &
I wish for you a healthy, happy new year.

~~~~~~

One last pun? Sure!

The man blotting his wet shoes with newspapers, explained, 
"These are The Times that dry men's soles."    -Edwin Newman (1919-2010)

;)

Carpe Diem!
-Lela

4 comments:

13 said...

I've seen vids on utube for flush setting and it looks easy....but it's like alot of things when you try it out, I find I end up making a real mess!

Sharon Driscoll said...

You can do it! If I had my notes and they weren't packed and five states away I'd help you out. What I can do is recommend Gerry Lewy's notes and videos. Check out Ganoskin for them and Google Lewy. He does teach all over the US - find a class and save up. Check out the blurp on Julie Sanfords studio page.

Lela said...

Marcia: I'm sure it's going to take a LOT of practice...but I'm determined! :)

Lela said...

Thank you, Sharon. I've watched a couple or ten vids and checked many books. I will definitely check out your resources. Thank you!